Hey What’s up, Hello? It’s HBJ here, doing my FIRST ever blog post on my new website, heatherbrookejones.com. I got a ton of requests to share my Extra Lean Turkey + Kale Chili recipe – so I thought I’d just put a quick post together to share.
So, my boyfriend and I were driving home from a quick trip to Tampa for the 97x Next Big Thing Concert and naturally, utilizing every second of my day to get things done (and multi-tasking like a crazy person) I decided to meal plan for the week in the passenger’s seat! I knew I wanted to switch things up and do a different protein for my meal prep this week so we decided on ground turkey. Great, so, what is there to make with ground turkey?! After Googling and Pinteresting and Instagram hashtag searching I suggested a Turkey Chili! Mike said: “I’m IN!” and then I said “But wait, my trainer said leafy greens are ALL the rage… do you mind if we add kale?” (Thinking for SURE he’d be all “nah, babe, that’s weird…” he said “YEAH! let’s do it!”… so alas, kale became an ingredient.)
You’re probably thinking…LADY GET TO IT, I DON’T HAVE ALL DAY! So let’s jump right into the recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 1 lb EXTRA Lean Ground Turkey (Mike and I did 2 lbs to prep for both of us for the week!)
– 4 cups kale (chop that ish!)
– 2 cups sliced carrots
– 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
– 2 tbsp cinnamon
– 4 tbsp milled flax seed
– 1 can black beans
– 1 can spicy kidney beans
– 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
– 2 tsp cumin
– 1 can tomato paste
– 2 tbsp chili powder
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– salt + pepper to taste
Here’s what to do:
1. Saute onions + olive oil over medium-high until those onions are clearer than day. Add garlic and keep stirring that thing.
2. Add that ground turkey and cook until brown. Add the kale, carrots, sauté.
3. Throw all of that into the crock pot with all spices and beans. Don’t forget the salt + pepper (I almost did… thanks, Mike for saving the day!)
4. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours.
5. Keep “taste testing”it throughout the day and telling your boyfriend you’re just doing the dishes… If he keeps questioning ask him about the Patriot’s defense.
6. Voila! You’ve got yourself some bangin’ Extra Lean Turkey + Kale Chili!
Let me know what you guys think – so far I’m enjoying it.